During the presentations, a girl who is a college sophomore and won a scholarship through the Foundation spoke. She was diagnosed with epilepsy in second grade (petit mal seizures) and then they advanced to grand mal seizures, she takes medication daily in order to be seizure free. What an incredible girl and story. She plays soccer, attends college and has overcome so much! She spoke of her grandfather, a mentor, who taught her at the age of seven to play cards. She gave the analogy of epilepsy being like playing cards - you are dealt your hand and you play to win.
Last night it was great to catch up with doctors and nurses that I used to call on as a pharmaceutical sales representative. I had a wonderful group of volunteers that helped make last night a successful event. Epilepsy is not talked about very much. 1 in 100 people have epilepsy. I was honored to help with such a successful event for an incredible organization, what a blessing!
No comments:
Post a Comment