Tuesday, March 6, 2012

tornadoes


Tornado season hasn't even officially started and they are certainly in the news. We've been watching and learning as Ambrose just did a science experiment on tornadoes (ironically he chose it before all of this started happening).

He gave his presentation in class yesterday:

I went to the Wizard of Oz exhibit at Strong Museum. I wanted to learn about tornadoes. Question: How is a tornado formed? Prediction: it is like a vacuum.

Experiment:
Fill a clear 2-liter soda bottle 3/4 full with water, add 1-2 drops of dish soap, add 1 Tbsp of gold glitter. Put the cap on tight, turn it over and swirl/shake hard. You will see what looks like a tornado from the bottom of the soda bottle.

A tornado is a dangerous, rotating column of air that is in contact with the ground and a cloud or base of a thunderstorm.

What I found out: a tornado is a collision of warm and cold air. Tornadoes destroy things in their path. I will demonstrate a tornado drill. You should seek shelter in the lowest room in the building with no windows.

No comments: